Thursday, 25 August 2011

What You Get if Assad Doesn't Like Your Drawings

I know a lot of people who like to draw, so I thought I should post this photo to show what happens in Syria if the President doesn't like your pictures. I am sorry if you find it distressing. I also find it distressing.

This is Syrian cartoonist Ali Ferzat. He was arrested, beaten up, and left by the side of the road, by goons working for the Syrian President, the great chinless wonder Bashar Al-Assad. Assad, a year-on-year runner up in the world's worst moustache competition, clearly doesn't appreciate art. This is hardly surprising, since a quick glance at Assad will give you a firm suspicion that he is not actually very bright. In fact, he is so thick he has failed to notice that his chum Gaddafi is currently hiding in the sewers below Tripoli, like a cornered rat, while the 6 million Libyans who aren't related to the Gaddafi family have a massive party, overhead.

Assad doesn't strike me as the type to stay till the revolution is right overhead. He strikes me more as the type who'll shit his pants at the first sound of gunfire within his actual vicinity, and run off on his very expensive plane. The sooner this happens the better, though I do feel a bit sorry for the people who have to clean his seat.

I hope that Ali Ferzat is better in time to make a cartoon about it. Satirists and cartoonists are an important part of a democracy, and if Syria is going to be one, soon, they'll probably need his drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment